Wednesday, February 25, 2004

A time comes in every gamer’s life or even just an ordinary computer user when they have to get rid of their old computers and buy the new one. The one which is faster, have more memory, better sound and video cards and the list goes on. For most of us (gamers) or even regular computer users, they have to stick with their old monitors because monitors hardly change much and the one with new technology are too expensive for an average person to change every two years. When I went out to get my new p4 system, which was the year 2002, I came across this new trend in the market. People were buying old used monitors and were very satisfied. There were so many of these old monitors that I wondered where were they coming from?
Today I got the answer to my question and it’s so shameful that I wonder why I bothered in the first place. My friend from Islamabad came all the way to Lahore to buy a used monitor. One of the sellers I came across had a whole warehouse full of monitors. I couldn't help myself but to ask him where was he getting all these monitors. He told me that containers full of used computers and monitors come to Pakistan from west. Basically he meant Europe and North America. At the moment I didn't think much of it. Later in evening my friend mentioned why these monitors were traveling half way across the world. When I listened to his explanation I couldn't help myself but to agree with him.
According to my friend when economy was booming in west all these used computers and monitors were recycled. But when the economy fell to recession companies thought why pay for recycle and also why dump old stuff which is toxic for their environment when it can be put into huge containers and shipped off to poor countries. This way it will be a headache for these poor and developing countries to take care of their toxic waste.
I ask these questions to myself and to my brothers and sisters. Are we that gullible to let ourselves be used as dump sites by the west for their toxic wastes? Doesn't our environment need the same protection from toxic wastes as west? Does our youth have the same right to live in a healthy environment as the west? Do we really know what's good for us as a nation?
I pray that Allah (SWT) put some sense in us so we can know and understand what’s good for us, as a nation, and what’s not. Ameen!

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home